A custom Family Concert Prep Kit is created for all attendees who have purchased tickets from Balboa Theatre. One week prior to each concert we will email the kit, including specific educational details about the upcoming concert along with tips on theatre etiquette.
If you are attending your first orchestra performance you may be interested in the answers to some of these frequently asked questions:
How do I purchase tickets?
Call Balboa Theatre at 619-570-1100
or purchase ticket online at The Balboa Theatre Box Office
Will young children enjoy Classics 4 Kids concerts?
Classics 4 Kids concerts are created to entertain and engage young children. With a singular focus on children’s orchestra concerts, Classics 4 Kids works very hard to ensure that its young audiences have an enjoyable concert experience leading to an appreciation of classical music that can last a lifetime.
What is classical music?
Classical music encompasses many styles of music spanning over 700 years. It is written for a group of musicians who play musical instruments. Classical music is categorized by the year that it was written:
- Before 1400: Medieval – characterized by Gregorian chant, mostly religious
- 1400-1600: Renaissance – increase of secular music, madrigals, and art song
- 1600-1750: Baroque – known for its intricate ornamentation
- 1750-1820: Classical – balance and structure
- 1820-1900: Romantic – emotional, large, programmatic
- Beyond 1900: 20th Century – limitless
What is a symphony orchestra?
An orchestra is made up of four instrument families: strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion.
- Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass
- Winds: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon
- Brass: French Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba
- Percussion: Timpani, Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Cymbals, Xylophone, Gong, Harp, Piano, and many more
What is theatre etiquette?
The following are recommended for proper theatre etiquette or good behavior. Please review with your child prior to attending a concert.
- There is no eating or drinking allowed in the theatre.
- Photography and recording of any kind is prohibited.
- Enjoy the performance experience!
Do I need to know the music before I attend the concert?
No. Young audiences will enjoy being introduced to the music.
When should I arrive?
We suggest you arrive about 20 minutes before the concert is scheduled to begin.
Where should I park?
Due to the proximity of the Theatre to the Historic Gaslamp District, parking can be challenging. Please refer to the Balboa Theatre’s parking recommendations and give yourself ample time to park.
Can I bring my cell phone or camera?
Classics 4 Kids requests that you turn off all electronic devices during the performance. Photography and recording of any kind is prohibited.
When do I applaud?
Audiences applaud to greet the conductor and concertmaster (the violinist that sits in the first chair of the first row of the orchestra). The audience does not generally applaud between movements but Classics 4 Kids understands how excited young audiences are to show their appreciation.
How can I learn more?
Program notes for each concert will be emailed to ticket buyers one week before the concert date.
How can I get involved?
Join our mailing list to keep up-to-date about our concerts and activities.